George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

kia sephia: a diagram to show me what the easiest way

i have a kia sephia 2001 1.8L

need to change both belts

there is almost no room in there to do anything so I was curious if you can give me a diagram to show me what the easiest way to remove replace and tension the belts?

thank you
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

I use a long screwdrive to install the belts to the pullies.

A trick I use for the alternator belt is to loosen the locknut on the adjusting screw and carefully place a long prybar against the body of the alternator and a solid part of the cylinder head then pry the alternator tighter so I can flip the screw adjuster up and out of the adjusting bracket with my hand then pull the alternator in to the engine to remove the belt. You may have to loosen the piviot bolt nut at the bottom of the alternator from the bottom of the engine (remove the wheel and the splash shields)

Click here

The power steering needs to have the nut at the bottom of the pump loosened and the lock nut on the adjuster screw then run the screw in all the way so the new belt will be able to slip over the pulley. You will have to partly start the belt onto the pump pulley and turn the pulley with a wrench on the center nut to get the belt on the rest of the way.

Sorry there is no easy way to do these but start with the outer belt and work in and then install the inner belt and tension beforing installing the next belt so you will have a fair amount of tension on each belt when you are done. The crank shaft only runs two belts the other is run off the water pump so watch to be sure you have all the belts tight.

Let me know what specific questions you have about this process

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i only see 2 belts... is there a third?

you said the crank only runs 2 belts and the water pump runs the other, is there a third?
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

On some there is a third

Do you have the single crank pulley or is it a dual?

The key is to use a gear wrench on the adjuster for the generator and that allows you to turn it to tension the belt. It also fits the locknut for the adjuster.

It is tight and there is not enough room but the engineers left just enough room to get the job done.

The belt is tensioned correctly when you can just turn it 90 degrees at the longest span.

Any looser it will make noise on startup and any tighter it put too much pressure on the driven components bearings.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is not with me at the moment, so I cannot double check, but I think there is only a single pulley at the crank

so I do need to go through the wheel and the mud cover then? yuck :-(
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

You will need to loosen the lower piviot bolt nut for the generator so yes you do need to raise the right wheel and pull the splash shield back. It is not hard just time consuming.