BigBob
BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience:  25 years in the auto repair business
13327319

My fan is not working on my 2002 spectra how far can I drive it

Category: Kia
Expert:  BigBob replied 3 years ago.

BigBob :

Greetings,

Customer:

what do i need to do and how far can I drive my car

BigBob :

Is the car overheating? Where do you live?

Customer:

no it is not just smells live in houston area

BigBob :

I just came back from the Deer Park area, I like Texas. As long as the engine does not overheat you can drive it anywhere, but you will want to get it fixed as soon as you can. As long as the smell is not is not the engine overheating. Do you have a temp gauge?

Customer:

yes and it has stayed below the half way mark since it started to smell. It looks like it will be hard to get to the fan do you think the fan is broken and what will it take to fix it will we have to pull the radiator or what

BigBob :

That's good. First check and make sure the fan is not clocked up, try spinning it by hand. Do you have 2 fans?

Customer:

I only noticed one and it spins

BigBob :

Ok sorry I looked at the wrong year, you do only have 1.

BigBob :

there is 2 fan relay's that run the one fan, one of these could be bad. Do you have a volt meter to test?

BigBob :

The pcm grounds the relays to turn it on. Have you tried turning the ac on, the fan should come on with the ac on.

Customer:

No I dont and wont have access till monday. I notice just some water droplets coming from right top of radiator nothing significant

BigBob :

Have you checked the coolant level?

Customer:

yes it is full

BigBob :

That's good. The next move is to check some wires then. I can give you the wiring diagram if you want?

Customer:

I dont think I will be able to understand them but send anyway

Customer:

I was right I dont understand but I have a buddy that does anything else I should do till Mon and how far can I drive before I should worry

BigBob :

If the level is full and it does not overheat you can drive it till Monday. Just check the level and keep an eye on the temp gauge at all times.

Customer:

Thanks in miles how far do think i can go at one time houston is big

BigBob :

You could drive a hundred miles as long as it does not overheat.

Customer:

Thank you should I worry about the water that seams to be coming from a sealed are at the top right

BigBob :

Not as long as the radiator is full and not leaking.

BigBob :

If it is clear water is must be condensation.

BigBob, Service manager/Technician
Experience: 25 years in the auto repair business