Scott
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Kia owner since 1999, Kia repair since 1995. Have up to date Kia info
12331040

2005 kia: timing belt..sorento3.5 but all marks are at top dead center

Customer Question

I change the timing belt on my 2005 kia sorento3.5 but all marks are at top dead center. When I turn it by hand a full turn its very hard to turn at one point or another but its still in time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam Thank you for choosing JA, I will do my very best to assist you with your concern.
so can you turn the engine by hand 4 complete revolutions and still have the timing marks line up? Not the marks on the belt, but on the cams and crank
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is an interference engine. If I turn it, it might ben the values
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Not if you turn it by hand. You won't bent the valves.
If you can't get four strokes out of it, then the valves are touching and something is out of align. It is going to turn hard on 2 of the 4 strokes due to compression.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I turn it four times the marks are in but I here a click when top dead center
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that being the case, I would redo it. Make sure you get the marks on the belt lined up properly with the marks on the sprockets.
Click is not good, but the fact that you are able to get the engine to roll completely through it's cycle is a good sign. You may be off a tooth or two and bot totally off, if that makes sense.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the new belt has no marks on it but all four top cams are lineup perfix and the crank is perfix
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, if the belt ha no alignment marks on it and the cam sprockets and the crank sprocket lines up with the timing marks it should be good.
I have never seen a belt with no alignment marks. I would seriously confide contacting the parts store and see if they have another and ask them to look for the marks. It should have them I believe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I turn it again and when I go half way it stop and at top dead center it stops but marks are still on the cam and crank

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well, I do understand, but I am worried it might possibly be off by a tooth or two. Although as long as all the marks line up, it shouldn't be. But you always have to rotate it 4 times to do a complete cycle on a 4 stroke engine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well when I go back to top dead center and stop it is hard to turn again
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
TDC is the compression stroke, so it should be hard to get there,then drop off after you get past it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have to force it then it goes free
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that could just be the compression then. It seems ok from here to be honest.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't want to start the engine and the valves ben
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Well,I can open this back up for the other experts, but I feel you may need to get someone that can actually see it.
To be honest, I think you are ok because normally if the valves are hitting, you can't rotate the engine at all. You are able to and what you are feeling is probably normal. It should get real tight on 2 of the 4 strokes and then easy on the other two.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have work on cars for many years and have not seen this before

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I still have issues with the new belt not having marks, but I will open this up for the other guys. I am not comfortable with telling you to fire it up.
Please don't reply or anyone with new info won't be able to reply.
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.

I am Scott and I will assist you with your vehicle concern.

I am sure having worked on on vehicles, you have the information from KIA or Motor/Alldata, ect: The one thing that is VERY important on this motor is the belt deflection and the cam marks.

IN THIS ORDER ONLY "Align the timing marks of each sprocket and install the timing belt in this order. Crankshaft sprocket → Idler pulley → Exhaust camshaft sprocket (LH) → Intake camshaft sprocket (LH) → Water pump pulley → Intake camshaft sprocket (RH) → Exhauft camshaft sprocket (RH) →Tensioner pulley"

graphic

Now if you are hearing a click, and have resistance, I would bit start the engine yet. I would do a cylinder leak down test first. I fear, that somewhere a valve kissed a piston.

The firewall cam shafts tend to have more spring tension and may spring back. I have had instances with clients having a cam spring back when removing the belt and actually, inadvertently bent a valve if returning it counter clockwise.

Play it safe, do the leak down test and if it passes, get a belt from KIA. It comes with the reference marks that carguy had mentioned, and takes the guess work out on the beck cam sprockets.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
scott I did the test it's good and I got the belt from kia no marks on it
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.

Now that is good, and odd. I am wondering if Hyundai is getting cheap on us.

If the marks are good and with the plugs out you have no resistance like you had before, start it. There is really nothing else left to do or check. The leak down test verified no leaks at the valves, which would have us assume that there is no damage. As far as the clicking, if a HLA has bled down, that could be the noise.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I turn the engine one rotation back to TDC it stops

Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
Are you maybe hearing this from the area of the CVVT valve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No scott when I turn one time no more noise but it stops at TDC then hard to turn one more rotation but timing still in

Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
Plugs in or out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
plugs in
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
That could be the TDC compression that car guy told you about. These engines are tight and have a very high compression.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok but the compression should go down after a few minutes, but still turns harded.
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.

Actually, once you pass TDC and the exh valve opens, resistance should diminish. until the next cylinder loads up. It will be a repeat process as the crank turns. Resistance, ease, resistance, ease.

On another note and not the issue you have, there is a campaign on the crank bolt to not reuse it and to replace it. KIA #072

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With my experience with interfernce engines if the valve ben the engine will not turn at all the belt on this car did not brake.I replaced belt,crank bolt.all pulleys,tenioner,water pump.

Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
I have had them turn, but you get that hair raising "snap" If the resistance sounds like the compression feel, you verified all is will w/ leak down test, belt deflection and tension are correct and the marks continue to line up timing marks, then I see no issue with proceeding with the repair. You have all the ingredients, so the only thing left is turning the key.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Scott one more thing it still fell like it's hard to turn at some point on a full turn

Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.
Actually, you should feel it more than once. After the resistance, the crank shaft will decrease resistance and float into the next event. You are pushing against the compression stroke.
Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Kia owner since 1999, Kia repair since 1995. Have up to date Kia info
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok scott thank for all your help and carguy1 thanks
Expert:  Scott replied 3 years ago.

Have a good weekend