Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Work intermittently..the fuel pump and fuel filter

Customer Question

What could cause the fuel pump to work intermittently? I have just replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. It has started, but takes a long time. Could this be an ignition switch problem or maybe an oil pressure switch?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,how are you?I have ran across this issue before with the sephia and the issue was a weak fuel injector.When you try to start the vehicle will it start faster if you push the gas petal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pushing on the gas pedal did not do it. Fuel pump is not operating when you turn key to on position. Fuses and relay are okay.
Ok,sorry i didn't catch the part of the question that the fuel pump is not kicking on,i believe you have a relay that may be checking out fine,but is shorting intermediately,i would suggest replacing the relay.Also check micro relay #54 in the engine fuse box,which is the main relay,this will also kill power to the pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I switched the horn relay with #54 and turned key over 3-4 times. Finally started. But after waiting 10 minutes or so engine would not start and pump did not work either. Turned motor over again 3-4 times and then it started and pump was working. This is the problem it has had all along according to the owner. Owner states battery and starter have also been replaced recently. Could it possibly be lack of oil pressure or something?

I don,t think it is an oil pressure issue,but could very well be a ecm issue.

Here is some testing charts.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try some of your suggestions and get back with you. If you don't mind, can I keep this open until at least Saturday? It may take a little bit of time. Plus being in Alaska, does not always help if parts are needed. Thanks Mike
Sure no problem,good luck.Thank you.
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Finally got a code out P0560. Backtested voltage to pcm and checked all grounds. I replaced the main ground cable from battery to motor and was successful in the end. Owner was happy with the car and on to the next project for me. Thanks for all the help and sorry I did not get back to you on Saturday. Happy Holidays