Scott, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Kia owner since 1999, Kia repair since 1995. Have up to date Kia info

Kia Sedona My tail lights are not working they only come on

My tail lights are not working they only come on when I brake. I have checked the fuses. What can I do? Kia Sedona 2005 van. We have changed a couple bulbs as well.

Scott :

Hello, I am Scott ans I will assist you with your vehicle concern.

Scott :

unhooking the quick tap for the trailer was a good hunch. That is sometimes an issue. Tell him good call, it is a shame it was not it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is a shame that it did not work. He is still trying to figure out what to do next. Is there anything else we can do?

Attached below is the wiring diagram. First off, if he could verify that there is no voltage at the Red/Black wires at the rear lamp sockets and that there is a good ground on the Black wires.

If there is voltage, inspect the sockets. I have had issues with those melting and customers only realize when both are out and not when they fail one at a time.

If there is no voltage, the next stop is the EXT fuse in the engine compartment fuse block. With the headlamps on, you need to verify voltage is there, don't trust the visual on the fuse, use a test light.

If no voltage, you will need to check the TNS relay. There should be two pins with voltage {non fused from the battery}and one with a ground when the headlamp switch is turned on and a ground on the other {lamps}

If the ground is missing, then you could have an ETWIS issue {see wire diagram and attached location diagram.}

My bet is the TNS relay if there is no voltage at the lamp sockets.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure if you received my next question, but the was questions was about the EXT fuse. There is no fuse in the location that the manual said it would be. There is only a rubber plug there.

Then you have DRL. Next step is checking the voltage at the pins on the TNS relay, unless he has no checked the voltage at the rear sockets yet.

Just for my information, was the trailer wiring quick tapped {plugged in to harness} or was it spliced in? If spliced in, and if you live in an area that salts and drops the chloride on the roads during winter, the wires could be deeply corroded within. Just another thought.

Edited by Scott on 11/29/2010 at 12:16 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No voltage @ rear sockets. There is voltage @ the TNS pins.

(The Harness is a plug in)

O.K. How about the two other pins. One should be a constant ground and the other a ground when the heal lamp switch is turned on. Oh, and are the front park lamps coming on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the heal lamp and front park lamps? We are trying our best. Trying to figure this out and get two small cranky children to bed

Sorry, big hands. Head Lamp and front park lamps. The Head lamps {self explanatory when I spell Head correctly} and the smaller lamps {park lamps} that come on other than the head lamps in the front of the vehicle.

Do they light?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the head lamps light and the lamps below light whitch are refered to as fog lights in the

What did he find with the ground signals at the TNS?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they check out good

o.k. Looking at the diagram, if there is voltage and trigger ground at the relay, and the relay is swapped with another like relay to test and there is the same result, and there is still no voltage at the rear lamps, then the fuse block will need to be lifted and the dual Red/Black wires at pin 6 need to be checked for voltage with the lamp switch on.

The possibility that there is a fuse block issue is slim, so I would swap the TNS relay with a known good one first.

You stated that you have voltage at two pins, one ground all the time and one ground when the switch is turned in, there is a good possibility the relay is faulty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I swapped with one of the head light relays and it still did not work.

Depending on how deep you are willing to get, the next step is removing the fuse box and checking pin#6. If there is voltage there, then you will need to trace back to the splice at the rear of the vehicle where all the Red/Black wires mate and work the ends to the middle.

You have officially stepped into a wire or fuse block issue. We need to look at pin 6

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What if there is not voltage?

If you have no voltage at pin 6 and have voltage at 14,13,4 and 3 (refer to diagram} then you have a fuse block issue. When the head lamp switch is on, key on, they all should light up.

if 6 does light up, then you are in to a hunt for the bad splice in the rear or a broken wire.

I am sorry it was not the relay. I also checked the Tech Service Bulletins for a heads up. There are none relating to your issue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is working on it. Trying to check pin 6. It sounds like he is having difficulty.

Why do these things always happen close to christmas.

Thankyou for all of your help. I think soon he is going to call it a night.

I understand more than you know on both counts. Santa is going to be lean this year. He needs a diet anyway.

I will be on in the early A.M. to check on you. Slow at the shop tomorrow, so I will look for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This link will remain open as long as you work it. He will need to match up the wire colors. KIA did not release pin charts. Have him look at the diagram and he will see that the pin 6 has 2 Red/Black wires sharing it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks again. My husband will have a look at it Mon after work.

So I should be able to msg you again?

We will obviously pay agian for more information. You have given us alot to work with so far. Hope we can get this solved.

Have a good evening, Candice

Hello Candice. 0645 here est. I am on and off all day, and will get back on tonight after I feed the kids.