Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master

1999 Kia Sportage. Will not start. The problem was intermittent .

1999 Kia Sportage. Will not start. The problem was intermittent . Now no ignition. Changed fuel pump and check pump ground at the body point. Every time I thought I had found a plug or wire that could be the cause and it would start, next time that wasn't it. I hate chasing electrical problems. I am hopping that this is a know problem and you might be able to point me in the right direction.
Is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No engine light and last time I checked no codes.
Is it missing fuel or spark ? Has the timing belt been replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I really hate this car. We spent an hour trying to start the car the other night. I figured great now I can track what is not working.Because every time I couldn't get it to start I would poke around it would start. Every time different, so I was hopping it would totally die so I can look for the true cause. It died the other night, had it towed home. Just went out to do a spark check and crack a fuel line to see if it is getting pressure. The flipping thing started. This is driving me nuts! Could it be a ground some where I ought to be looking for?
Yes it can . It also can be the of ignition switch was this checked ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any suggestions on where to look for groundind and How do I check the ignition switch with out replacing.
Ok check the actual battery terminals to make sure they are secure and not corroded . Then follow the battery terminals down and make sure they are secure especially the negative terminal.Also check the ground going from the battery to the starter. It can also be the beginning failure of a crank sensor . As for the igntion switch you would have to see if it seems loose or burn which would entail removing the switch. Last of you can have a scanner hooked up in the data list screen when this happens you can tell what's not operating. These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any way to test the crank sensor? Also when you say a hook up to a scanner, your refering to OBDII hook up?
Yes an obd 2 hook up. Only way to test the crank sensor is when it's not starting and it's missing spark.You would do a continuity test on the sensor and if it reads 0 it's bad .