George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

2004 Kia Rio Cinco: brake hear knocking sound..stop sign..Accelerate

2004 Kia Rio Cinco- Press on brake hear knocking sound when stopping at a stop sign. Accelerate-knocking sound. NO knocking sound over bumps. no knocking sounds backing up. ONLY when brake is pressed hard to stop. sometimes it sounds under the floor once in a while it sounds as though it is coming from passenger rear wheel. Mechanics took off wheels to check brake shoes.
they are puzzled- there are many could be bushings, struts and something else in front of car. help before I pay for something I do not need. thank you

Hello I will help you with your question,

I agree that the problem is in the right brake shoes. Have the shop that installed them check their work and the wheel cylinder at the same time. There is a rubber boot on the cylinder that if you pry it back should only have a thin film of brake fluid on it. If there is enough fluid to drip when the boot is pulled off the wheel cylinder the wheel cylinder has failed and needs to be replaced. I would do both sides.

This is very common on this model. (Not the brake shoes but the wheel cylinder)

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you