Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My keyless entry sometimes work and sometimes it doesnt. I

My keyless entry sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't. I changed the batteries so its not that, it still does it..There is no pattern to it..I also noticed that sometime when a passanger opens the door in the front it automatically locks the doors (70-80%) of the time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi Customer, Thank you for using JustAnswer.

What is the year, model and engine size

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Opps sorry. Its a 2006 Kia Sorento LX, V6
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Do you have more than one transmitter?

You said when a passenger opens the door, The doors lock. Is this form the inside or the outside?

Edited by Kiatech on 8/27/2010 at 6:58 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have 2 transmitters..The passenger door when opened locks all doors, if opened form the inside or sometimes it locks it even when you open it on the outside. I have to re-open them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HI, this has not been answered, please help!
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Sorry about that, the question timed out on me, and i could not reply. I have two other question. When the remote stops working. Did you try both remotes. As for the doors locking when someone opens the pass. door. I have an idea, but the information is not on the wiring diagram. On the passenger front door. If you unlock the door using the key does it unlock the other doors?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not tried the both remotes lately. I only tried it the first time when it went haywire I switched remotes and have not switched again. As for if the key opens the door yes it does. I have to do it manually. I could either open it on the passanger or driver side, key does work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I hope you can help me. I don't really mind the doors locking on me I could always use the keyless entry if it worked? now they don't work at all...They haven't been working for the past few days, before they did once in a while now they don't...any ideas
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

I have not forgotten you. I am at work right now. But i will be on line tonight around 8:00PM EST. I should have something for you by then.

Thank you,

Tony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you sooooo much!!!
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

I got it done early

If your power locks are still working. (you can unlock all the doors with the lock switch on the drivers door. Or with the key from drivers door.) I am going to tell you how to program your remotes. Using a jumper wire and the data link connector under the hood.

Code saving method
Receiver (ETACS module) can save maximum two codes from the transmitter.

Look under the hood by the battery. You will see a connector with a cover on it. See photo. This is what the connector looks like. You will need a piece of wire.(long enough to go from positive battery terminal to the connector.

graphic
(1)Connect one end of wire to the positive battery terminal. Connect the other end to the terminal "6" of DLC (Data Link Connector).

(2) Turn the ignition switch to "ON" position.

(3) If you only want to program one transmitter.
Press the lock button of transmitter for over 3 seconds until the turn signal lamp turns off.

(4) If you want to program two transmitters.
Press the lock button of one transmitter for 1 second until the turn signal lamp turns on, and then press the lock button of the other for over 1 second until the turn signal lamp turns off.

(5) Remove the jumper wire, and then the transmitter code is re-saved on the receiver.

(6) Check the operation of the keyless entry system.

Let me know what happens.

Edited by Kiatech on 8/31/2010 at 9:24 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will try it this afternoon..and will let you know...thanksKiss
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't seem to find the connector that looks like the one in picture. There is a terminal near the battery but that one has fuses in it..I will tell my husband to look into it (hes out of town due back tomorrow)
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

See picture for location. The connector has a cover over it.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, we found it (at work) co worker help, cover says "diagnostic" I put some wire on the hole that corresponds to "6" and the positive battery pole and turn the key to "on" press the lock button on remote but nothing happens, the turn signal "both" of them are on and don't turn off. Do I need any special kind of wire??? I used one that had a plastic cover, on the inside were super thin copperlike wires, they were small enough they fit inside the "6" and the other end I wrapped around the post.
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

First, do the power door locks work ? Can you lock and unlock all the doors from the drivers door or passengers door.

it sounds like wire should work. How long did you hold the lock button down for?

Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience: 30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The locks work. I held the lock button for more than 3 seconds, it was more like 1 minute or so. the lights never turned off.
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Can i git back to you in the morning. Its late and its been a long day. I think its probly going to be the ETACS module. But i wanted to verify it on a sorento i have in the shop.

Good night, Tony.

I will get back to you in the early afternoon.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, thanks
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi Customer, Sorry it took longer than i thought. Unfortunately you will need to replace the ETACS module. It is located in the center of the dash behind the radio. See photo.

A new ETACS module runs around $300.00. You might consider a used one. It is not common for the ETACS module to go bad, so a used one could save you money. Try http://www.car-part.com/ to find one used. I am uploading the procedures for replacing the ETACS. If you decide to buy used, give them the numbers off the old module.

Thank you,

Tony

graphic

Service and Repair

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative(-) battery terminal.
  2. Loosen the screw and then remove the upper tray.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument center side panel by pulling it.

graphic

1. Remove the audio panel.

graphic

1. Remove the screws holding the audio unit then remove the audio assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Installation is the reverse of removal