Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

I have a 2005 Kia Amanti. I had check engine light come on

I have a 2005 Kia Amanti. I had check engine light come on and took to mechanic. They had to replace two coils for the cylinders. The very next day, I was driving the car on the freeway and it loss power and sort of shuttered and I looked down and the tachometer and it was sitting on 0 and the check engine light was on again. It would drive OK sometimes but every once in awhile it seemed to lose power while I was trying to accelerate. If I took foot off gas for a few seconds it drove fine again. I have taken it back to the mechanic and he can not find what is wrong. They suggested the "cranksensor" but apparently that wasn't it. Any ideas?
Chat Conversation Started
Carguy1 :

Hi there! Do you have any idea what the codes were on the second instance the light came on?

Customer:

No, they never told me .

Carguy1 :

alright, I think it is possible the cam sensor is the issue and not the crank sensor. I would really need the codes to be certain,but we do see some wiring issues with these and if the engine loses signal from the cam sensor this would happen. With the tach going to 0 it is a pretty good indication it is the cam sensor.

Customer:

OK, how much does this type of repair cost? Can the work be done in one day, because I am needing to take a business trip next week.

Carguy1 :

I am not suggesting just throwing parts at the car by any means, but without a code it is tough to diagnose just based on description.

Carguy1 :

The sensor is roughly $150 and about an hour labor. A bit more labor because they really need to check the wiring for both the cam and crank sensors

Carguy1 :

Should be able to do it in a day without a problem

Customer:

do you suggest going back to my mechanic or taking to dealer?

Carguy1 :

I would suggest the dealer at this point and this is why. If this is a common problem they may have a bulletin that goes along with the code. This makes them more accurate at dealing with mysterious issues

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX your help!