john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years foreign and domestic shop owner and technician
6149662

2004 kia optima: where exactly is the fuel filter

Customer Question

where exactly is the fuel filter on a 2004 kia optima and how do you get to it
Category: Kia
Expert:  john aka eauto replied 4 years ago.

graphic

The fuel filter is located underneath the chassis on the left hand side of the fuel tank.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
looked all the way around the tank, found no fuel filter. It is a 2004 Kia Optima EX DOHC 16 valve with fuel injection
some of them had no inline fuel filter, they had a intake filter sock. If you traced the lines and there is no fuel filter then its likely a fuel pump issue. I would perform a fuel pressure test...the pump may be failing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has a sock and i have done a pressure test, pump entergized and built up pressure. when i removed the bolt holding hose on top of filter pump housing, gas shot out and sprayed me in the face. I also checked the timing belt it is fine. And there was gas standing in the tube coming from the fuel pump. The is a black box behind the rear drivers tire. That has 4 hoses going to it. one to air, neck, tank, and purge?
i would check for a crank signal, the crank sensors are common for failure causing these issues
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the crank sensor? And would it have caused a vehicle to cutoff while running. I hear the fuel pump entergize, fuel injection sensor power up and something right in front of the passenger side windshield. How do I check for crank signal.
with a scanner that satagraphichows live d
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
didnt help and can get it to start breifly with starting fluid
is the fuel pump getting power? is there injector pulse?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes to both
then i would find a scanner with live data and watch cam and crank signals