Cardoctor69
Cardoctor69, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master
3827149

how do I change tail light for 02 Kia Rio Cinco

Category: Kia
Expert:  Cardoctor69 replied 6 years ago.
You have to remove the little hatch cover behind the lamp.Now you have to unbolt the lamp from the body and pull it out to get to the light sockets.These diagrams will help.

graphic

graphic

Hoped this helped.

Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't understand the response. None of the illustrations show what I have to do to get to this area. This area is fully covered by plastic panels. Everything is sealed up. Do I have to pull out the entire interior back panel to access the light assembly? Will I ruin the back of car? Will I be able to put the back panel back in without special tools? Do I go under the rear of the car?
There should be little plastic covers that come off correct inside the trunk?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are not any little plastic covers. There are two large plastic panels, about 2'x2', across the back. This is a Rio Cinco, hatchback, looks like a mini station wagon.
OK I had it for the non wagon this is for your car.

1. Step 1

Open the rear door (trunk) and twist the retaining screws off the plastic cover panel. Remove the cover panel from the trunk wall.

2. Step 2

Squeeze the sides of the locking tabs securing the tail light fixture in place on the frame. Pull the brake light fixture from the trunk wall, leaving the wires connected to the fixture.

3. Step 3

Remove the light bulb that needs to be replaced by pulling it from the fixture. Insert the replacement bulb into the fixture and reattach the fixture to the trunk wall. Push the fixture until it locks into place.

4. Step 4

Replace the plastic cover panel to the trunk wall. Replace the retaining screw to the cover panel and tighten the screw. Close the rear door of the 2002 Cinco.

Hoped this helped.