Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

need a specialist in 2006 kia timing on cam shafts and belt,

Customer Question

need a specialist in 2006 kia timing on cam shafts and belt, keep getting hard how do i compress the lifters.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

Hi , Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Here are the procedures for installing the chain and the belt.

(1)Align the camshaft timing chain with the intake timing chain sprocket and exhaust timing chain sprocket as shown.

graphic

(2)Install the camshaft(A) and bearing caps(B).

Tightening torque : 11.8 ~ 13.7N.m (1.2 ~ 1.4kgf.m, 8.7 ~ 10.1lb-ft)

graphic

(3)Install the timing chain auto tensioner(A).

Tightening torque : 7.8 ~ 9.8N.m (0.8 ~ 1.0kgf.m, 5.8 ~ 7.2lb-ft)

graphic

4.Align the timing marks of the camshaft sprocket(A) and crankshaft sprocket(B) with the No.1 piston placed at top dead center and its compression stroke.

graphic

graphic

5.Install the idler pulley(A) and tighten the bolt(B) to the specified torque.

Tightening torque : 42.2 ~ 53.9N.m (4.3 ~ 5.5kgf.m, 31.1 ~ 39.8lb-ft)

graphic

6.Temporarily install the timing belt tensioner(A).

graphic

7.Install the belt so as not give slack at each center of shaft. Use the following order when installing timing belt. Crankshaft sprocket(A) →idler pulley(B) →camshaft sprocket(C) →timing belt tensioner(D).

graphic

8.Adjust the timing belt tension.
(1)Loosen the tensioner pulley mounting bolt and apply tension to the timing belt.

graphic

(2)After checking the alignment between each sprocket and each timing belt tooth, tighten the mounting bolt (A) and (B) one by one.

Tightening torque : 19.6 ~ 26.5N.m (2.0 ~ 2.7kgf.m, 14.5 ~ 19.5lb-ft)
(3)Then recheck the belt tension. Verify that when the tensioner and the tension side of the timing belt are pushed in horizontally with a moderate force [approx. 49N (11lb)], the timing belt cog end is aprox. 1/2 of the tensioner mounting bolt head radius (across flats) away from the bolt head center.

graphic

And finally the HLAs

HLA (HYDRAULIC LASH ADJUSTER)
With the HLA filled with engine oil, hold A and press B by hand. If B moves, replace the HLA.

graphic

No.
Problem
Possible cause
Action
1
Temporary noise when starting a cold engine
Normal
This noise will disappear after the oil in the engine reaches the normal pressure.
2
Continuous noise when the engine is started after parking more than 48 hours.
Oil leakage of the high pressure chamber on the HLA, allowing air to get in.
Noise will disappear within 15 minutes when engine runs at 2,000~3,000 rpm.If it doesn't disappear, refer to step 7 below.
graphic
Do not run engine at a speed higher than 3,000 rpm, as this may damage the HLA.
3
Continuous noise when the engine is first started after rebuilding cylinder head.
Insufficient oil in cylinder head oil gallery.
4
Continuous noise when the engine is started after excessively cranking the engine by the starter motor.
Oil leakage of the high-pressure chamber in the HLA, allowing air to get in.
Insufficient oil in the HLA.
5
Continuous noise when the engine is running after changing the HLA.
6
Continuous noise during idle after high engine speed.
Engine oil level too high or too low.
Check oil level.
Drain or add oil as necessary.
Excessive amount of air in the oil at high engine speed.
Check oil supply system
Deteriorated oil.
Check oil quality.
If deteriorated, replace with specified type.
7
Noise continues for more than 15 minutes.
Low oil pressure
Check oil pressure and oil supply system of each part of engine.
Faulty HLA.
Remove the cylinder head cover and press HLA down by hand.
If it moves, replace the HLA.

As you know the HLA is supposed to pump up.The problem is when you remove them they come out some and need depressing. Well, Kia does'nt give any info on this.But i use a soft jaw vice, and a shop rag. Use a socket that is small enough to fit the plunger and long enough to do the job. Place the socket on the plunger.open the vice, place the rag over the jaws. Put the HLA in the vice and close onto the socket to push in the plunger ( Slowly. Apply Pressure Then Allow It To Collapse) Do all HLAs

If you are satisfied with my answer please click Accept or click Reply if you need more help.

Thank you,

Tony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ive done this already twice but come up with same results , multi missfire code on scanner
Expert:  Kiatech replied 4 years ago.

You asked me how to compress the lifters. Did you read my answer? I explained how to compress the lifters.

You asked me how to set the chain and belt. Did you read my answer? I explained how tho set the chain and the belt.

I will try my best to help you.But I can only answer what i am asked.

Did you have the cylinder head offthe engine?

Have you ran a compression test on the engine?

Was the engine turned with the timing wrong?