kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer 1990 4.0 liter. It has been parked

Customer Question

Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer 1990 4.0 liter. It has been parked for about 2 years and all was well when parked. It will not shift out of low gear to the higher gears. Reverse is fine as is neutral and park. The transfer case is working properly. Fluids are at the proper level and of the correct type. I thought it might of had some water in the fluid and it froze something in the valve body, but I have driven it all around my farm in low gear giving it plenty of time to heat up with no change. Thank You in advance, Al Hartley.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The transmission is original and no I have not checked the brake switch.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything yet because it has been too darn cold. And I can fix it if I had an idea where to start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this will be enough.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

When you checked the fluid level, Did you check it in park or neutral?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Park
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

You have to check the fluid level in neutral. In park the pump is not active and fluid is not flowing through the transmission, so it can be low even though the dipstick says it is full.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Did you check the fluid level in neutral? Was it low?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

What have you done so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have only checked the fluid. I can focus on it better now that our snow has gone away. I did notice that the fluid I used was Dextron/Mercon. I don't know if that matters, just thought I would mention it.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Dex III is what you should have used. So you re correct. Did you check the fluid level with the transmission in neutral?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are there any issues with using the combo fluid?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

If that is what you used, you should add a bottle of lube guard in the black bottle. I am not trying to be difficult but, HAVE you checked the fluid with the transmission in neutral with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Engine running, in neutral. Where does someone buy lube guard?
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Your local auto parts store should have it in stock. Make sure to get the one in the black bottle.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Now back to the fluid level, was the fluid level lower with the trans in neutral over being in park?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not compare them. I can do that tomorrow.
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Please do that for me. Check it first in park, then in neutral so I can see what the difference is please. It should read lower in neutral by about 3 quarts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry that I have not responded to your suggestion yet, we have had a house full of friends and family due to a death in the family. I will look at the old Jeep in a couple of days and get back in touch with you. Thanks Al
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry for your lose. Just let me know when you can get back to it.