Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have compass 2010 and I have issues with the break when

I have compass 2010 and I have issues with the break when driving in snowy and rainy days. The car also skid in turns
JA: Are you fixing your Compass yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It passed inspection last month and I have been told all is fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

When braking in snow and rain what issues are noticed?

When turning and skidding is they on dry pavement or what?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car does not stop, i have to turn slightly to a side to avoid hitting the car in front of me. This happens at the traffic lights and stop signs.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It skids on both dry and covered with snow pavement. I mean by dry after cleaning the roads from snow

When coming to a stop do you get a funny feeling from the brake pedal like its vibrating and a noise like a motor grinding?

Have you had your brake pads and rotors inspected to verify they are working optimum?

1-10 ten being a great snow and ice driver what would you say you are?

When the road is dry like in the summer, are there any braking issues?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
exactly how you described it.
They have been inspected in september.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would rate myself 8 or 9
No braking issues in the summer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I checked the report when I took it for the same problem, they have noticed vibration when braking. It was fixed
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But the same problem happened last night when I drove in snow

Thanks,

What you are experiencing is the ABS activating because the road is slick and your braking to hard. This results in a wheel(s) locking up. When a wheel locks up the ABS activates and pulses the brake fluid to the wheels to allow braking but still maintain steering ability. There is nothing wrong nor a repair needed nor a repair that can be done to make it not occur. You just need to brake softer and take more time to stop. ABS is great in the snow because it can prevent lockup allowing you to at least steer out of the way of a collision but it is going to take longer to stop. Each vehicle operates different. You can try a different style tread design, tire chains or cables, or studded tires, each of those will help a little. I recommend you get in a open parking lot and practice a few times braking from 55 mph with the brake pedal pressed as hard as possible to get a better understanding of what to expect from the ABS.

For example my Ford F350 handles great when braking in the snow

My wifes Kia Sorento does not

Both compared on the hill down to our driveway that is 800 yards long and drops 350 foot. I can do it just fine and under control in my truck using the ABS. Driving my wifes car it more scary and loses control more so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much for your help and good advise.

Your welcome