Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

I recently acquired my daughters 2003 wrangler 4 cyl.She

Customer Question

I recently acquired my daughters 2003 wrangler 4 cyl.She needed money for taxes.My plan was to sell it but when I had the oil changed there was only 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of oil in jeep.Apparently it has been losing oil for yrs.The jeep does not smoke,overheat,and shows good oil pressure.I'm really surprised it shows no sign of smoke.I am going to check at night with somebody following.Could there be any other reason other than valve seals or rings.The mechanic said it looked like the rear main was leaking but my daughter said there was never any oil spots on concrete under it.When I looked under it I didn't see a lot of oil on jeeps underside.
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: The motor has never been apart.No gaskets replaced
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I looked on the internet to see problems other people have had.Changing PCV valve,but I think it checks the pressure from the wrong way.Some said pan gasket.Just had the oil changed today so I haven't really tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

If you aren't seeing any leaks, or smoke I woudl probably suspect a stuck open PCV valve. When it hangs in the open position it can burn just a litle bit of oil the whole time the engine is running. 95% of the time you won't even see ant smoke at all because it burns so little and because it sucks the oil in through the intake where it is almost completely burned up in the combustion chamber.

You might remove the intake ducting from the throttle body and look for signs of carbon build up and oil residue- that would tell you if the PCV is hanging open.

If you end up swapping the PCV out, here is where it's located:

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Your only other options for oil consumption other than leaks would be worn valve guides (it would smoke on startup and then go away after a few seconds), or worn rings (a little bit of smoke all the time).

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional info. Don't forget to rate.