Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Heater switch not working 99 2.5 td Cherokee - wondering

Customer Question

heater switch not working 99 2.5 td Cherokee - wondering what this operates - flap valve ? and hoe easy to change
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: coolant level fine, engine temp fine back-flushed matrix fine but switch doesn't feel like its doing anything
JA: What year is your Cherokee?
Customer: 99
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: made sure no air locks. Back flushed thro matrix. only the inlet water pipe is hot outlet cool
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If its a dashboard out - then I'll just wear extra clothing !
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

Is the concern you can not get any heat inside the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
only blows out cold air (all fan speeds working fine). water temp gauge running about 88C. As I said the two metal pipes that feed the input/output of matrix should both be hot - but only 1 is. Back-flushing with a hose pipe seem ok re flow so don't think there is any blockage. Have checked for air locks.The rotary heat control switch on dash feels like it is not doing anything and I wonder if whatever 'control' this leads to has broken / come apart. Don't want to go to the expense of removing dashboard - would rather wear more clothing - but is there a fairly simple way to get to mechanism by taking out radio for example or some other easily accessible bit of trim. Thanks

Since the heater core flows when flushed forward and backwards but only one hose gets hot this indicates the concern is under the hood with a restriction on one of the heater core hoses or outlets or the water pump is not moving enough coolant or the thermostat is stuck open or there is air in the cooling system.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris