Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I hit a deer and it crunched the corner, got the damage

Customer Question

I hit a deer and it crunched the corner, got the damage fixed and the jeep will not start, I have more details Originally when I hit the deer I lost the engine immediate the radio and other electics worked but when I turn the ignition to the crank position the starter does not engage
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel is fine, the key is in very good shape and had no issue before the accident
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2009 patirot base model, no power locks, no power windows, no keyless entry, As base as I could get it. I bought it new and there have been no modifications, additions, ect.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing it myself I have 29 years experience diagnosing Cummins Diesels but not gas engines
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have overridden the starter solenoid and got it to run on Starting fluid. I have checked the fuel pressure and on key on the fuel pump does do it's priming pulse but then shuts off
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you checked for fault codes using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your model here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a 161b , I only have standard cheap OBD2, I don't have anything that will get me Chrysler only condes
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Is this a P161b code?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had never seen a code with a b behind it before
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My craftsman OBD2 reder defined it as a battery defect, so I charged the battery to ensure I had a full charge
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It is a newer thing they are doing with codes by adding letters after the number for certain faults set.This code indicates there is a battery disconnect with the transmission control module.This will cause this issue here.If there is any damaged wiring leading to the transmission or transmission control module from the accident this issue occurs.If the transmission control module has an internal electrical fault this issue occurs as well here.Below is the diagnostics for this fault here.These need traced and followed to pinpoint and repair this cause.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/415h4s0dkssh3em/t-01-01.gif?dl=0

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Module (TCM) calculates the checksum in the EEPROM and compares it to the stored checksum value. If the calculated checksum value does not match the stored checksum value the TCM sets the DTC and illuminates the MIL.

- When Monitored:
One time at every ignition on cycle.

- Set Condition:
When the calculated checksum does not equal the stored checksum configuration or loss of power to the controller. It takes one trip of problem identification to set the MIL.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrt8grmh5o8z7xs/tc-01-01.gif?dl=0

1. CHECK TO SEE IF THE DTC IS ACTIVE
1. With the scan tool, read Transmission DTCs.

Is the status Active for P161B?

Yes

- Go To 3

No

- Go To 2

2. CHECK FOR OTHER DTCS

Is the status Active for P0602 also?

Yes

- Diagnose and repair the DTCs.

No

- Go To 3

3. CHECK THE TCM

Has the TCM been flashed, a new TCM installed or the battery or TCM disconnected with the ignition in the On or Accessory position?

Yes

- This is a normal condition. Cycle the ignition off for 4 seconds and turn the ignition back on. Erase DTCs and cycle the ignition off again for 4 seconds and turn the ignition back on. Read TCM DTCs. If the DTC resets and remains active - Go To 4.If the DTC does not reset perform CVT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.

No

- Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission Control Module (TCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits.
- NOTE: A loss of the TCM Fused B(+), TCM ground, and/or the Transmission Control Output circuits can cause this fault to set.

- Check for any Service Bulletins for possible causes that may apply. If no problems are found, replace and program the TCM.
- Perform CVT TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST.

4. CHECK IF THE RIGHT PART NUMBER IS *****
1. With the scan tool, check the TCM part number and compare it to the vehicle configuration.

Does the controller have the right part number?

Yes

No

- Do to the configuration mismatch the controller will need to be replaced with the proper part number for the configuration of the vehicle. Replace and program the TCM.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The GIF has not came through yet, I'm on a slow internet connection, does it show the location of the Transmission control module TCM?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

It should come through hopefully soon.

The TCM is located between the brake pedal bracket and the left drivers kick panel as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nnyncjwn9bkwem/tcm-01-01.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you have a location on the transmission pressure switch, There is a 3 pin harness that is not connected near the TIPM but I discounted it because it sits next to the fog light location which the fog lights are not included
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will have to go check what you have told me, I will get back with you
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I dont show an exact location but see it located as shown below.Usually it is internal in the transmission.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qesrosec6drb65q/press-01-01.gif?dl=0