sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 liter engine four wheel

Customer Question

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 liter engine four wheel drive start the truck up power windows and door locks work all the dash gauges work after about 30 seconds all gauges goes dead all the way up and power windows and door locks dont work
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: definitely no corrosion on the battery terminals clean them 20 times but if I disconnect the negative battery cable terminal then the gauges will work then the windows will work sometimes for 15 minutes I'll be driving and then everything goes dead
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't had a chance to put it in I picked up a new ignition switch and ignition actuator switch but it's funny when I'm driving at night time if I click the high beams on then the gauges and the windows will work if I cook my beans again they don't work I had to wait about a minute and every member so if I took the high beams in the gauges and the windows will work for about 30 seconds so I'm thinking might be short in the headlights with the fog light switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: when the power locks do work and I just press the lock button the rear driver side door the actuator makes a really loud grinding grinding noise
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The communication bus is most likely going down, which I often saw happen due to voltage bleed from the charging system inside the powertrain control module. Can you start the engine and allow the problem to happen, then unplug the alternator field connector and see if it goes back to normal?