Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I want to buy another jeep wrangler & wanted to know what

Customer Question

Hi Chris, I want to buy another jeep wrangler & wanted to know what the last year it was sold with the 4.0 HO engine? Also, did that year have antilock brakes?
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Jeep Wrangler. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I just want to buy a used jeep that will be the longest lasting, reliable vehicle. We have a 99 Jeep Wrangler w/5speed Trans & have had 0 problems other than it now has 180K miles and living near the beach there's some rust. Basically I need to know the year(s) I should look for to get a 'bulletproof' vehicle.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome back! The last year that the Wrangler came with a 4.0 inline 6 was 2006 In 2007 the 3.8 V6 was used. Yes that model TJ did have ABS as an option.
I hope that helps!Chris
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Would you say the best, ***** ***** Jeep motor is the 4.0 ho w/5 speed manual. I don't want to get into a bunch of maintenance costs. If you were buying a used jeep wrangler (mostly driven by my wife) What year, engine, trans would you purchase?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Actually yes I would say that the 4.0 engine was the most reliable (basically pretty much bullet proof if properly maintained ). As far as transmission go, the manual is very reliable and easy to maintain , but the clutch wear has to be taken into consideration . If your wife is a good stick shift driver and easy on the clutch, then you should have no problems . The 42RLE automatic transmission is pretty reliable also if serviced regularly. so I would say 5hat the manual is a little bit more reliable

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
I hope that this information is helpful!Chris