gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler dealership technician
12249065

I have a 1987 jeep yj, last week i jumps started with a

Customer Question

i have a 1987 jeep yj, last week i jumps started with a batter charger, during start the starter motor kept cranking after key was turned off. with that the starter started to smoke and positive lead smoked as well. i replace starter and solenoid. when attempting to restart nothing. i noticed no power to anything except the parking lights no radio,head lights ect. batter is charged, will not jump start off my car. all wire a tight where do i start with this. no crank and no power.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: no power at all except to parking light
JA: What is the model of your '87 Jeep?
Customer: base, 6 cylinder engine has less than 2000 miles on it
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. new starter, solenoid cant find burned wires
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 days ago.

You're going to need to use a meter to pin out the wires, or at the very least a test light- and check the positive wiring to the fuse block, until you find the section that has the fusible link in it. The wiring usually feels a little softer (the rubber coating) and may be imprinted, though after this much time it may have faded- or it may even show signs of heating where the link blew.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have found them. My question it do I cut and splice in new ones They are located by the starter solenoid I believe And covered with soft rubber. Can I splice in regular fuse. And what size should I use
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 5 days ago.

The fusible links CAN be replaced with a fuse, but you need a certain kind- a fusible link is designed to absorb the "pulse" of a starter current without blowing like a fuse might, but also when it DOES blow, it blows completely- a fuse may have a small enough gap that if there is a major current through there, it can jump the arc gap.

The fusible links are rated based on the color of their plastic sheathing, which shows the wire gauge.

HERE is a good page to take a look at, with information about what sizes and types of fuses you could use to replace the links