Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 will crank run along sometimes

Customer Question

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 will crank run along sometimes 15 - 20 mile then all of a sudden it shut down some times after 4-8 hrs or sometimes 2 or 3 days or more it will crank up and run again might goe 4 or 5 miles or it might go 10 or 15 but it does the same thing over and over can spray starter fluid in breather and it will start for a few seconds once the flud is gone it just crank but won t start
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: haven t detected either it just cranks but don t even try to start. Need to listen for that
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put a new fuel filter on it I have checked that when the key is on the fuel is coming through the filter looked at the fuses they are all good the small ones
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need to fix it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

So when it stalls you can shoot some starting fluid in the breather and it will start and run? If yes then your fuel pump is likely bad.. I see you have replaced the fuel filter but have you dropped the tank to replace the fuel pump?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no but with the key switched on fuel comes through the filter but jeep won t start is there anything between the filter and the injectors to stop fuel from getting to the engine
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Ok if fuel is coming thru the filter then you will need a fuel psi gauge connected to the fuel rail to see if the fuel psi is a constant 50 lbs, if low then you will need to replace the fuel pump.. Also if you connect the fuel lines back up will it start if you spray starting fluid then?

Did you request a phone call?