Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Will start and run as as the key is held in the start

Customer Question

Will start and run as long as the key is held in the start position, but shuts off when the key is returned to the run position.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Oh yeah, everything is good. It is a 1989 Cherokee 6 cyl.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I am a well qualified mechanic. The engine was running great when I parked it last night.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Does this vehicle have an ignition reducing resistor in the coil wiring? To reduce voltage to the coil when running but a full 12volts in "start"? GO!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Yes, this vehicle should have a ballast resistor in the positive feed to the coil, Follow the coil positive connection and you should find the ballast resistor mounted nearby..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is an old post...I am interested in the ballast resistor. I am familiar with its function.
Where is it on this vehicle.?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Older Mopars had a ballast resistor in the ignition circuit. Does this 1989 Jeep have such a thing?
Expert:  Robert replied 5 months ago.

The ballast resistor should be mounted to the firewall somewhere near the Ignition Coil. I'm not able to find a pic at the moment but should be able to get one by tomorrow. Let me know if you are unable to find it and I'll do my best to help..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is NO answer. You haven't addressed my concerns at all. How can you charge my account for this NOTHING answer???