Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2006 liberty won' t n crank. Tried new actuator no

My 2006 liberty won' t n crank. Tried new actuator no help?can get it to crank by bypassing crank selinoid .once in a great while it will crank start then die
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Batt is at 11.9 yes head lights come on
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself I changed relays by changing position where as all the relays are same
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Are you saying that you can get the engine by bypassing the starter relay or by running power directly down to the starter motor or solenoid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I can bypass the relay and engine will crank . All dash light come on as well as head lights. Tried a new acuator ,motor cranked three times .started all three times but only ran about 10 seconds then died now will not crank again. Batt is up and even put a charger on to make sure

May I have your VIN?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Have had a pressure gauge on for two days still holding 60 lbs of fuel pressure on the rail

Right, the problem is nothing to do with fuel pressure. It is strictly related to the starting circuit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

1j4gk48k66w282747

Thank you for the VIN.

So the actuator pin was replaced?

Where did you get the part?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I bought it at car quest local part store when I pulled the column apart only have the screws were there. Looked like someone had already changed the acuator trying to fix the problem. He has owned the jeep just a short time since problem started

Ok, thank you for that information. So what we need to do is find out what input is missing at the starter relay.

With the relay removed, check for two powers and one ground going into it with the key in the CRANK position. This is checking the female pins for power (after the relay is removed).

Once we know what is missing, we can pull a wiring diagram and track down the root cause.

Do you need or would you like a wiring diagram for this circuit?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

With the relay removed I can crank the engine by jumping the starter pins . I have power to the relay inergise pin when turning the key switch to crank position

Pin 30 and 86 should have power with the key in the CRANK position.

Pin 85 gets grounded by the PCM

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Pin30 and 86 do have power .cranked engine by jumping 30 and 87 while holding switch in run position did not try to run

Hello and sorry for the delay!

So this means pin 85 is not getting grounded by the PCM to activate the relay.

This could be a faulty PCM, the PCM may not be awake/powered up (missing a power and or a ground), it could be shorted out by another module or a sensor or it could be missing another input preventing it from grounding the starter relay.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No I do not have a code reader

Ok, no problem.

Your next step is to determine why there is no signal from the PCM to the starter relay.

If you would like, we can speak on the phone as that will be much easier.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I could use awiring diagram . It will make it easier to chase wires

Hello and sorry for the delay!

I have attached a wiring diagram of the starting circuit below. It is spread over two pages.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Replaced ecm engine started three times then dies each time after running about 10 seconds .now will not crank at all

Did you program/configure the new ECM after it was installed? If this, this needs to be done.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

The part store took the Vin , milage,all the info from the ecm so it was suppose to be programed before I installed as far as I know. would there be a theft program in place that would lock me out.the owner said this is what it was doing before ,maybe it would set an hour or two sometimes a day or two. crank start and die two or three times and then would not crank again until it set for awhile

This is definately a security related issue. If the computer was programmed correctly, I suspect either a faulty ignition key and or a faulty security module. You may need to program the pin in the security module as well. Just a though..

thought..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Put a new battery in key fob still goofs up but you can disconnect positive cable for 30 sec then replace it. security will reset and car starts and runs fine

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Put a new battery in key fob still goofs up but you can disconnect positive cable for 30 sec then replace it. security will reset and car starts and runs fine reinstalled old ecm also

Hello!

Thank you for that information. Was the security module replaced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No not yet own did get extra keys from previous owner, going try them to see if through key I have is bad

Ok, it sure sounds like a faulty module on board the vehicle locking up preventing the engine from starting.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Different key let it start and run now won'the shift out of first while driving

I will leave this open for other experts.