Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2006 liberty won' t n crank. Tried new actuator no

Customer Question

My 2006 liberty won' t n crank. Tried new actuator no help?can get it to crank by bypassing crank selinoid .once in a great while it will crank start then die
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Batt is at 11.9 yes head lights come on
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes myself I changed relays by changing position where as all the relays are same
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 12 days ago.

Are you saying that you can get the engine by bypassing the starter relay or by running power directly down to the starter motor or solenoid?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

I can bypass the relay and engine will crank . All dash light come on as well as head lights. Tried a new acuator ,motor cranked three times .started all three times but only ran about 10 seconds then died now will not crank again. Batt is up and even put a charger on to make sure

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

May I have your VIN?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Have had a pressure gauge on for two days still holding 60 lbs of fuel pressure on the rail

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

Right, the problem is nothing to do with fuel pressure. It is strictly related to the starting circuit.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

1j4gk48k66w282747

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the VIN.

So the actuator pin was replaced?

Where did you get the part?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

I bought it at car quest local part store when I pulled the column apart only have the screws were there. Looked like someone had already changed the acuator trying to fix the problem. He has owned the jeep just a short time since problem started

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

Ok, thank you for that information. So what we need to do is find out what input is missing at the starter relay.

With the relay removed, check for two powers and one ground going into it with the key in the CRANK position. This is checking the female pins for power (after the relay is removed).

Once we know what is missing, we can pull a wiring diagram and track down the root cause.

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

Do you need or would you like a wiring diagram for this circuit?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

With the relay removed I can crank the engine by jumping the starter pins . I have power to the relay inergise pin when turning the key switch to crank position

Expert:  Amedee replied 9 days ago.

Pin 30 and 86 should have power with the key in the CRANK position.

Pin 85 gets grounded by the PCM

Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Pin30 and 86 do have power .cranked engine by jumping 30 and 87 while holding switch in run position did not try to run

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

So this means pin 85 is not getting grounded by the PCM to activate the relay.

This could be a faulty PCM, the PCM may not be awake/powered up (missing a power and or a ground), it could be shorted out by another module or a sensor or it could be missing another input preventing it from grounding the starter relay.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.

No I do not have a code reader

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 days ago.

Ok, no problem.

Your next step is to determine why there is no signal from the PCM to the starter relay.

If you would like, we can speak on the phone as that will be much easier.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

I could use awiring diagram . It will make it easier to chase wires

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

I have attached a wiring diagram of the starting circuit below. It is spread over two pages.