Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I installed a pair of JW Speaker 8700 J series LED

Customer Question

I installed a pair of JW Speaker 8700 J series LED headlights on my 2007 Jeep JK Rubicon. The low beams flash and then go out. The high beams work perfectly. Thoughts?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: The fuses are fine. The low beams come on, but then they flash for a few seconds then go out. It is as if the ECU is looking for the low beams but gives up.
JA: What is the model of your '07 Jeep?
Customer: Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I swapped the headlights this evening. That's all I did.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need to know is your DRL lights setup/incorporated in the low beams?

were there adapter kits with the headlamps ?

please let me know!!

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My 2007 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited does not have DRLs. In low beam set up, the JW Speaker model 8700 Evolution J lights include a half a halo ring and two other lights next to the low beam. These all light up when in low beam. The halo and adjacent lights also light up in high beams. The JW Speaker are supposed to have anti flicker technology built in. They are plug and play with the Jeep. Here is the url for the lights: http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/off-road-headlights-model-8700-evolution-j/#resources
The lights don't flicker. Both low beams come on for a few seconds, then they start to blink off, but never in the same pattern. After about 30 seconds, they go dark and don't blink back on. The high beams work perfectly all the time.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for the extra info !! do you have the ece version?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. US version.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok thanks let me see something on the jeep side hang on for 5-10 minutes!!

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok the heatsink in the back of the light .... what color is it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
base metal colored. no paint. Just a simple grayish
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

i have a pic to make sure on the wiring out of the lamp is the same on the left pic and not the right!!

please make sure !!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I bought the item from Amazon. Sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon. It is the real deal.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

i do need your vin # to get the factory info !!

thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1J4GA69177L104658Thanks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok to make sure your color of your rubicon is light greystone pearlcoat correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok what happens if you disconnect one headlamp do you still get the same issue?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not try that. What would that show?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

with both lamps it may have an effect to the TIPM module to shut down the circuit

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

and then also try if the headlamps do the same with the key on engine off and engine running

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I never had an issue with the power system. And the questions about the TIPM in the jeep wranglers never went anywhere.Also, the lights have the same failure with the engine on or off.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok the same issue with only one headlamp connected right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not attempt to disconnect one of the lights yet. It is a bit of a production to do that and I wont be able to do that until morning.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

ok game plan you will try that and let me know .

did you have a scan test performed to see what fault is it setting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no fault codes showing up on the scan. I pulled the lead from the battery, twice, to see if it would reset the ECU, but no luck there. The low beams still failed. I then scanned for fault codes and there were none.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

what scan tool do you have ? make and model?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No tools. You can use the ignition key and run a sequence that displays the fault codes on the odometer. The display after a few seconds of scanning said "none".
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

that is for the ecm but not for the TIPM module.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
True. I am not a mechanic and only have limited tools.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it sounds like the next plan would be to bring the jeep to a mechanic.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

yeah !!! it could be the lamp itself but need to scan to make sure it's not the vehicle side issue

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for trying, but no luck and no insights.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 months ago.

need t dig deeper and still too many unknowns without special tools