Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Starts but turns off immediately, won't idle, Yes & no, not

Customer Question

Starts but turns off immediately, won't idle
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes & no, not coroded
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1990 Wrangker
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Husband replaced plugs & air control valve, air intake valve, throttle position sensor & MAP
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 17 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Has your battery died recently?

or been disconnected...

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We replaced it a month ago

So, describe to me how the problem occurred...did you simply start it up one morning and find that it won't idle or was it a progression?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It had been starting but you had to really pump the gas. It was running really sluggish- that's why we replaced the plugs & wires & rotor & distributor cap
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He also replaced the sensors
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Any ideas?

Well, that's difficult. There is a common issue on these wherein the car has to "relearn" the idle if the computer loses it's electricity for any reason. In this case, you have to start the car with the gas pedal at half accel and get it to run on its own by slowly letting off the pedal until this can be achieved. Then you have to let it idle for approximately five minutes on its own. This would not explain your sluggish acceleration though. Do you have any engine codes?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not sure on codes, it doesn't have anything that light up or a Check Engine light

Try to perform the procedure I just delineated and see if that cures your idle problem

Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 15 days ago.

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
That procedure didn't work.
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** this type of stalling is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you Chris! I appreciate your assistance!
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome! My pleasure to help!!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.
I hope that this information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you!Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 10 days ago.

I hope that this information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you!

Chris