Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

My 2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo keeps blowing the 40 amp

Customer Question

My 2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo keeps blowing the 40 amp fuse. Where should I start looking for the short and could it be the connector itself. It doesn't show any problems but I've replaced the relays, water pump, thermostat and sending unit. The fan turns easy by hand and runs tell it blows the fuse again.
HELP !!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The fan may turn easy by hand and may also turn when commanded on but usually what occurs is the fan starts to draw to many amps over the life of the fan motor and causes the 40 amp to exceed intermittently which in turn shorts out the fuse.If it was a dead short with wiring or another component shorted the fuse would blow immediately when the fan is turned on but since it runs for a bit then blows the fuse this indicates that the fan motor is drawing to many amps needing replaced.This is a common reason why this fuse will short out like this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete