Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Radiator cooling fan will not come on changed out relay and

Customer Question

radiator cooling fan will not come on changed out relay and still does not come on
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 108,000 yes start fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2000 grand cherokee v-8
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: mechanic replaced radiator cooling fan, and relay 13 months ago I replaced relay 2 weeks ago worked fine until yesterday, replced relay today, cooling fan does not come on
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
1J4GW58N1YC104916
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

Here is the test you need.

The fan relay terminal 30 should have battery voltage all the time. This gets power from fuse 1 in the PDC.
The fan relay terminal 87 goes to the fan motor. If you jumper 12 volts, the fan should run. Fan relay 86 should have battery voltage with the key in the "on" position. Fan relay terminal 85 goes to the Powertrain Control Module. The PCM will ground this wire to run the fan.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.