david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4 I replaced all 4

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 4x4 I replaced all 4 calipers, brake hoses and master cylinder, bled all the lines and my pedal still going to the floor
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 20 days ago.

Hello. Was the pedal going all the way to the floor before all the work was performed?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
well the pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor, but it is almost to the floor

ok. Was it exactly like this before all the work? Or did this low pedal issue begin after the work was done?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
that was the problem that's why started replacing parts, I started with the rear brake pads, rotors, calipers and hoses cause the calipers were not working so I thought that was the problem it helped a little, so then I replaced the master cylinder and nothing changed then I was reading online about pinching the bake hoses to see if the pedal was firm so I pinch all four hoses and the pedal was firm right away, so I remove the rear clamps and the pedal was still firm, so I remove the front clamps and the pedal goes to the floor right away but if I clamp either hose on the front the pedal gets hard so I thought replacing the front calipers and hoses would fix the problem but nothing changed

OK. it looks like the problem is in the front. First, check to make sure that the calipers are not reversed by making sure that the bleeder screws are on the top of the caliper and not on the bottom. Second, when you replaced the front pads, did the pads look like they had worn evenly? or were they slightly wedge shaped?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
calipers are installed correctly, yes they were worn unevenly but not too much

Since they were worn unevenly, that usually means that the caliper slide pins are not moving freely. If they aren't moving freely, the pads will not sit as close to the rotor as they should, so when you apply the brakes the pads have further to travel before contacting the rotor. That will result in excessive brake pedal travel, and uneven brake pad wear.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok, but I put brand new front calipers, hoses, pads and rotors too

did you replace the caliper brackets and slide pins as well?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
this particular truck doesn't have brackets only slide pins and yes they are new

Sorry, you are correct. The caliper bolts to the knuckle. And, if you clamp either of the front brake hoses, the pedal is hard and normal?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

Ok, have you had someone apply the brakes, and visually inspect the calipers to make sure that they aren't kicking crooked or anything?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
everything looks good

Considering everything checks out, and all parts including hoses are new, I am a total loss at the moment. I will open this up in case someone else has any ideas. someone else should be with you shortly.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok thank you for your time

real quick. you have tried this with the wheels installed, correct?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
not with the wheels on, but with the lug nuts on yes

OK. Just as long as the rotor was tight to the hub.

does the pedal go to the floor when the engine is off? or only when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
engine running

when the engine is off, the pedal is normal?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

are you absolutely certain that what your experiencing is not normal? Have you tried driving the jeep and see how it actually feels when in real use? ( sorry if that's an insulting question) I have had people bring in nearly new cars with a similar complaint and the brakes are actually perfectly fine.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I drove it before I started replacing parts and every time I put a new part in it, I mean the truck stops but if you are going 35 mph you have to step hard on the brakes and it takes maybe 30 feet for it to stop,

ok, and when you step hard on the brakes, the pedal goes to the floor, and the truck doesn't come to a stop as it should? or the pedal gets hard?

I would conclude a potential problem with the booster, but considering that the problem goes away with the front hoses clamped off, ill eliminate that as a potential cause. Sit tight and if someone else knows what's happening, they will reply right here. Sorry I was unable to help you get the problem resolved.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can push it all the way to the floor and the truck doesn't stop the way it should and its not hard
Expert:  david craig replied 20 days ago.

Hi Im David. bleed the brakes with the engine running. bleed them again and again and again. it took me at least 8-11 times of bleeding brake on a few of those over the last couple years.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I've done that all day I used about gallon and a half of brake fluid bleeding the system and still doing the same

and you're geting straight fluid out of all calipers?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
from the master cylinder too

get another master cylinder.

make sure you bench bleed it before installing.

ill opt out now, but thats my advice.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I replaced it 3 times with brand new ones, yes I did before I installed them
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Hello!

Different expert here.

Did you still need help?

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the problem?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
anything that can help me find the problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Ok, one minute..

Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

You are going to have to pin point what is causing the spongy pedal. This is done by clamping off all four brake lines at the hoses by each wheel. Start the vehicle up and check the pedal. Chances are that it is nice and firm. If it is not, the master cylinder is at fault and will need to be replaced (or there is simply air in the system). If the brake pedal is nice and firm, when doing this, then disconnect the clamps one by one and see what makes the most difference or which one allows the brake pedal to sink when releasing the clamp.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I already did that and the pedal is nice and firm when either one of the front hoses is clamped
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
By the way all four hoses and calipers are new, pads and rotos as well
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Ok, then the problem is in the front calipers then. Check to be sure they are not bending or flexing when the brake pedal is depressed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

It could be faulty calipers, installation problem, or even loose wheel bearings. Be sure the rotor and wheel bearings are not bending and or flexing when the brake are applied.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I already check all of that and everything seems to be working properly
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

If the brake pedal goes to the floor or close to, when stepping on the brakes, everything is not working properly. Something is being overlooked.

Expert:  david craig replied 19 days ago.

what about having the abs module bled?