Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

2006 Jeep commander no power to 7 pin trailer connector,

Customer Question

2006 Jeep commander no power to 7 pin trailer connector
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: constant no power to any pins all fuses under the hood and inside check good
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a shop I have a 7 pin connector tester and power probe checked wiring from connector under the vehicle and nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** none of the pins have power with the turn signals on, the lights on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
nothing vehicle lights all operational
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

ok, when the factory tow package is installed, they do not ship them with the trialer tow relays in them, in the fuse box under the hood, can see if the relays are installed? they will be marked trailer/tow right tun, trailer tow left turn, and trailer/tow parking lights?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there there and check good
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

with the headlights on, do you have pwoer to the fuse #9 in that fuse box?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
power to all fuses both under hood and inside
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

did you check the fuse 9, does it have power only with the lights on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No power when lights off
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

but itn has power with the lights on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
checked with key on and off
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

ok, do fuses 19 and 20 both have power at all times?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still there
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

ok, when you turn on the turn signals, and feel the trailertow turn relays and see if you can feel them clicking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no clicking when blinkers on only the light relay click when lights turned on. I have power to 2 terminals on the relay sockets. swapped the known good one with no change
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

can you put one of the turn relays in, but dont push it down all the way, make sure it has connection, but leave it up a little so you can probe the 87 pin and see if it has power with the appropriate turn signal on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
power to pin 85 but not 87
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 months ago.

do you have power on the 30 pin at all times

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
its hot at all times
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
relay clicks when 85 and 86 jumped
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
found an inline ATO fuse blown now have tail light and aux but still no blinkers or brake
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Try jumping terminals 30 & 87 of those relays. If the lights work for the trailer let me know and I have a few other tests for you.I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jumping pins 30 and 87 on relay no change shot 12 v. to cavity of 87 and have a solid light at plug

so if you put power to 87 the lights light? but jumping 30 and 87 nothing happens? Does 30 have power on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
constant power to pin 30 key off and key on

so i apologise, but maybe I don't understand, if you apply power to 87 the connector works, but if you just jump 30-87 it doesn't?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is correct.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also have constant power to pin 86

ok so take a light bulb and ground it on the body or battery and then touch a wire to the bulb and into socket 30 and see if it lights up strong.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Im using a power probe showing me 11.8 volts
Ya it needs to be something with a load. A single strand of wire in an otherwise heavily corroded wire can carry 12v. But won't be enough juice to power anything. So with this it needs to be something that will load it. Like a light bulb.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
light is bright
Hmm, so let me just recheck here. Pin 30 has good strong power. Jump it with a wire or paper clip to pin 87 and you have nothing in the back. But apply power with power probe to 87 and it lights up in back. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i jump without relay yes it works
Give me 10 min to look something up.
Ok do this
1. Remove the Front Control Module (FCM) from the Integrated Power Module (IPM).2. The center row is numbered 10-29. Ground terminals 21. Counting from the wrong direction will not damage anything. Ground terminal 21 should turn on the right trailer turn signal. If not the IPM has an open circuit.
Any luck?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pulling battery to gain access
No prob. Just make sure you hook the battery back up, at least with jumper cables so it'll work. And put the relays back in to or it won't work.
I hate to say it but I need to sign off for the evening. I work nights. So I have to be back up at midnight eastern time. So if you reply I will get it when I come back on. And I will reply then if it won't wake you. Or I can wait till morning if you tell me your time zone.
So again if grounding it does nothing the the fuse box needs replaced. But make sure the fuses are still good and the relay is in. And that the relay is good.
Let me know what happens. And if it is the IPM (fuse box) and my advice helped, please leave positive feedback for me.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
have rt light on rear trailer plug
just making sure, this isn't one you just added the trailer wiring to is it? Even if it's a factory harness you installed, the FCM has to have the trailer option turned on with a compatible scan tool.
Now if it's one that's been in it and working before then the powers and grounds need to be checked to the Fcm but most likely your fcm is bad.
Actually if all other lights work (same input and ground for them) then it's either programming in the FCM or a defective Fcm. I'd try flashing it first.
Let me know if you need more help.
If I've been helpful please rate my help accordingly.
Thanks
Do you still need help with this?
Please let me know.Did my advice help? If so would you leaving a positive rating for me?
But if you still need help please let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 2 months ago.

did you get the problem fixed? was my advice helpful?

were you able to get this fixed?