Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

I am looking at buying an 89 Jeep Wrangler with 4.2L 6 cyl

Customer Question

I am looking at buying an 89 Jeep Wrangler with 4.2L 6 cyl eng. from what i have read this is a computer controlled carb can this be changed over to a standard carb with no computer control. I want to eliminate all electronics from the vehicle. How big a job is this?
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I dont own it yet. Doing research to determine the best model year to buy, so I can have a very serviceable vehicle that I can convert, eliminating all computer and electronic parts, as much as possible
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You are correct, the 1989 Jeep 4.2 litre engine uses a fuel feedback system; this requires the use of an electronic control system on the back of the carburetor. (the system was no very good I might add). Any carb for this engine from the aftermarket will work for you, as long as it is for a pre-183 4.2 litre engine. I had the same issue on my 87 Eagle 4.2; the carb electronics wore out (there is a 'stepper motor' bolted to the back of the carb; this is what controls the air-fuel mixture). I replaced it with a carb from a 1981 4.2 and have had zero problems. This is what I recommend; get a carb for an earlier version of your Jeep.