Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee leardo. starts good runs

Customer Question

i have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee leardo. starts good runs good. somtimes when a come to a stop on the road. there is a little shacking in the rear end and the engine comes to a stop. anything you can tell me?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: everything else stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked spark plugs havent went in any further. thought id look/ask around to see if anyone else has had the same problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i guess not
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
ok thanks

hey how are you

1- is there a check engine light on now ?

2- Take MAF sensor out and clean with maf sensor cleaner

3- Have you scanned it and retrieve any fault codes .?

4- on a cold engine ,if you spray staring fluid will the engine rpm surges up ?

5- has the CKP sensor been replaced, is it hard or to long to start at times ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no check engine light is on at the moment. not sure about sensors. sometimes while driving the rpm will go up and down running in overdrive on the highway. also going up hills sometimes does not down shift with very low power. if i hit the over drive butten off it then will down shift and go along just fine

the down shifting part on the trans concerns me ,if it is a trans issue causing this not engine issue .

have you serviced trans before ?

what is the mileage ?

if you get it scanned with a Chrysler scanner they can pull history fault code even light is not on now

if you can get me fuel trim readings at idle ,long term & short term, i can be more accurate for you.

i would do the starting fluid test, and clean or replace maf sensor

maf sensor knowing abut being bad and not throwing a check engine light

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
145,678 miles
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
where do your shoot the strating fluid right into the injectors

NO NOT IN THE INJECTORS ,just around the intake manifold and any vacuum lines , you spray ON A COLD ENGINE NOT HOT ,IT WILL CAUSE A FIRE.

SO SPRAY ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE INTAKE AND AROUND THE INJECTORS, IF THE ENGINE SURGES UP ,THAT MEANS WHERE YOU SPRAYED WE HAVE AN AIR LEAK GOING INTO THE ENGINE .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 13 days ago.

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician