Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

We have a 2011 GC and the power lift gate closes immediately

Customer Question

Hi, we have a 2011 GC and the power lift gate closes immediately after opening. This can cause alittle problem if your trying to unload something and your hands are full.
JA: What is the model of your '11 Jeep?
Customer: Grand Cherokee
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, just started to trouble shoot this issue. I always start by alittle research online.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, battery has full charge but there are a couple other issues im noticing. Rear wiper started acting up and now has failed completely. also I noticed on the dash display, the eco mode does not activate at all anymore. possibly isolated issues but not sure.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that should do it, Thank you!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Most of the time what causes this is the strut is bad and when it reaches the top it will bounce and then it will lower back down. Can you tell me if you open it does it strut keep it open or does it fall?

Talk soon,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

I see that you have read my reply at 1:12pm but I have not received a reply back yet.. Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have to check the strut but I've not noticed excessive movement when it reaches the top before coming back down
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning Brad, I checked the strut and there is no bounce or drop at all with the strut. When it reaches the top it stops and then starts to close again immediately. As if its a position sensor failing to recognize when fully open.
Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Good morning,

If the strut is ok then at this point you will need a scantool to see what codes are in the power liftgate module.. t could be a bad sensor or motor but we need to retrieve the codes first to determine the issue..

Expert:  Brad replied 6 months ago.

Do you need more help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I havent had time to put it on the scanner but I am hoping to do so today.
I have another issue I would like to bounce off of you though.
My wife is having trouble with here jeep not heating up while she drives it. I warms up nicely when its idling, but traveling over 20km per hour will drop the coolant operating temp from 80c to 45 or 50c. the cabin air cools down almost immediately. I the unit is driving up steep incline it warms up nicely. My fear is that, if I cover the grill or rad it may overheat when idling or climbing hills. Do you think this might be the thermostat? I have ordered one but its not here yet.
FYI, its -34 degrees c this morning and I dont think shes going to be very happy driving into town.