Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

After a day of trail riding i have a huge vibration but only

Customer Question

hi there after a day of trail riding i have a huge vibration but only in high range when i select low range there is nothing that is at the same speeds
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1997 4.0l wrangler sport
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i live in botswana africa so i took it to the dealer but they are not very clever the are going to replace the rear drive shafts and ballance the props but i dont think that will solve it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think it could be in the transfer just a thought because how come if i select low range then the problem is gone
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: and then
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 20 days ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.What speeds are we talking that the vibration is there? Also is it there only under load or always at that speed, under load, freewheeling etc?I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
hi there it is mainly when you have your foot on the gas i would say from 25 to 40 mph havent tried it faster but it is a huge vibration and when i put it into low range it is as smooth as silk, i went up some rocks and the first time didnt make it the car bounced quite heavily then back little bit then went up when i was done and went on the road it was like that so something definately hapened right there
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
i live in africa phone calls are going to cost me a fortune i would rather try get an answer by mail, what do you think might have bent
Sorry the system automatically asks about phone calls. No problem because I can't either right now :-)
There's not much in those t-cases that will cause vibrations except bearings. More likely a u-joint is frozen now. In low it doesn't require much torque but in high it would. I'd check them first. If it was a bent drive shaft it would vibrate in low or high.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok im going to redo the propshafts lets see it is just that they turn at the same speed whether in high or low at a certain miles per hour thus my confusion
Thus the reason I don't think they are bent. But the u joints will due it based on torque.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
ok thanks for your trouble
It's no trouble. Let me know if it doesn't fix it and I'll help further. As for the joints you don't have to replace just drop them and swivel by hand. If not smooth or if they are hard to swivel then replace.
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 17 days ago.

did the joints fix the problem? or can I help more?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
hi, they have not done them yet will let you know
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 14 days ago.
Hey sir, I was just thinking about your vehicle and what it's doing. Here is one other possibility. Not as common as the ujoint but can cause the issue your having.Do these checks.
1. Check the turning torque of the viscous clutch in the transfer case:
A. Set the parking brake.
B. Place the transmission in neutral.
C. Raise one front wheel.
D. Check the turning torque of the raised front wheel. It should be less than 75 ft. lbs.2. Check cold and after driven on the highway.3. If it turns OK cold but does not after driven, check for uneven tire wear or mismatched tires.4. If tight even when cold, the viscous clutch has failed.
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 3 days ago.

did you get the vibration fixed?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Hi i had 2 new propshafts built but the vibration is still there where do we go from here
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 2 day ago.
Did you do the checks of the viscous clutch that I sent?