Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

What could cause the instrument cluster icons to randomly

Customer Question

What could cause the instrument cluster icons to randomly blink while also going back to normal 50% or more of the time?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. This may be the cluster itself. Have you noticed any other lights (interior or exterior) blinking?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ok, then it has to be the logic circuits in the instrument cluster's circuit board.

So the repair would be to replace the instrument cluster assembly.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

If this is something you want to do yourself, then let me know and I will send you the procedure.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would appreciate it. If this doesn't fix the problem, can we continue talking about other things to try?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Oh absolutely! Give me a minute to get the procedure to you. Be right back.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now that I think about it, there have been a few times that the inside lights will come on temporarily when the signal light is engaged
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have added three photos for you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Two other photos
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hmmm well it looks like maybe you have a problem with the cluster (like I mentioned) or a connection problem at the connector that plugs into the back of the cluster or a Bus communication issue to the cluster. Before you replace the cluster, you may want to have a dealer or shop check the BUS circuit first. The BUS circuit is the Jeep's internet so to speak. In other words, all of the computers in your Jeep communicate with each other over this BUS circuit. If no BUS problems are found, then replace the cluster.

Click on the link below to see the procedure.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

I hope that my answer/ information was helpful and if so would you kindly take a moment to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. If you need further assistance, I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you!

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What do I do after I remove the cluster?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Have it sent out for repair/or exchanged. Your dealer's parts department can help you with that.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will you be sending any other information (manuals, diagrams, or instructions)?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Well I can send a wiring diagram for the cluster if you wish.

Chrisd

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please send me a wiring diagram and any else that you think could help.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Will do. Just sat down for dinner. Will get that to you after I finish eating.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I just wait at this point.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ok, I will get that diagram now,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Ok, click on the link below to see the diagram info.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If I have follow-up questions, as I use the information you have provided, am I able to continue to pursue a solution with you. Until I use the information, I really am not sure I can rate your answers as having helped me solve the current problem. Can I come back and rate you later?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Yes absolutely. You can rate me know or later. It does not matter. I will continue to help you either way. I do it all the time. I want you to be happy with my service.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wil get to work and then get back to you. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

You are very welcome !

Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Today, I ran errands which included stopping and starting 5-7 times. From the initial start-up until the second to the last time everything was perfect, no blinking lights or icons. The last start-up, all of the lights stayed on. I decided to pull off the road and restart the Jeep. When I did that, it started with no lights as it normally would. They stayed off until I shut it off when I got home. Does that help in diagnosing my problem?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Robert had a justanswer response on August 9, 2013 that I found helpful. I have ordered an instrument cluster so that I will have everything when I start taking things apart. It will have to wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday.
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.
Ok, sounds like a good plan. Please let me know how it goes.Chris
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will. Thanks
Expert:  Chris replied 3 months ago.

Thanks