Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Rotor keeps blowing, have to replace it and it starts, this

Customer Question

rotor keeps blowing, have to replace it and it starts, this time it didn't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery connecters not corroded, did I get a bad rotor
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 95 strait six 2wheel
JA: Are you fixing your 9-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: did not have a problem till I had my plugs put in, engine light came on, rotor went out, changed it, it started, rotor went out again, checked spark plugs, most were burnt, changed them and wires, put new cap and rotor on now it just turns over but wont start. battery gage keeps going down instead of up, doing the like it was when I had a bad rotor
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an issue with high resistance in the spark plug wires.spark plug gap incorrect can also cause this sometimes or even corroded distributor cap itself.These will need to be checked into to locate which component is the cause here.Once this is done the component found at fault will need to be replaced.If the spark plug wires have not been replaced in the last 5 years or 100,000 miles I would replace them as well as the distributor cap and re check the gap for the spark plugs.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete