Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

O2 Cherokee with the common turn signal problem. They work

Customer Question

O2 Cherokee with the common turn signal problem. They work intermittently and its much worse when raining or damp out.
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: Fuse, multi-function switch, BCM and so one.
JA: What year is your Cherokee?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I'm fixing it myself. Everything but pilling the wiring out and looking for a bare or broken wire. Problem originally was only when it rained and has slowly gotten worse over a 2 year period.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It also has the A/C and driver side heated seat problems that I've found go along with the turn signal problems through much reading on the internet.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 21 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** this a 2002 Grand Cherokee? 4.0 liter?

Have you any other electrical problems when it rains or damp weather? Do the hazards work?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Grand Cherokee Limited with a 4.7 Hazards work, signals are only thing effected by moisture.

Have you tried replacing the turn signal flasher relay? It should be located under the drivers side dash.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.

Did you use an aftermarket flasher or one from a Jeep dealer? There have been problems with aftermarket flashers. Also are you saying the A/C stops working and so does just the drivers seat heater?

If you have a minute, there is a harness that incorporates all three of those components that runs near the transmission pan. It could have rubbed a bare spot on the harness.

Let me know how that harness looks and we can proceed. But if it has chaffing, check for any open wires and re wrap the harness.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Sorry for the slow reply. Ok, I covered every square inch of this pile of crap and came up with nothing, so I went back to the BCM/fuse block. I've been leaving the key on and the signal switch on just in case I happen across something I'd know it. Well, I squeezed my hand up to the flasher as a last ditch effort before pulling the BCM out again. Soon as I touched the flasher the signals started working and when I'd take my finger off of it they'd quit again. Terminals were spread for some reason. So anyway after collapsing terminals to ensure a good contact signals are good for now, but the moisture/rain thing has been to common to be a coincidence. So, I guess when they stop again I'll starting digging some more. I've had enough of this shit bucket for now, and I'll deal with the A/C when warmer weather gets here. Thanks for your time, Jon.
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 20 days ago.

Okay so I was correct about the flasher relay? Excellent. I am glad we found your problem. Thanks for using JustAnswer! Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you before you rate my service!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Flasher is perfectly operational. It was loose fitting terminals in the BCM. I could swap flashers all day and have never fixed the problem.

The moisture/dampness may not be a coincidence. Hairline fractures in the solder points inside the flasher may still be an issue. If you are still having problems I would still recommend a new flasher preferably OEM. I am glad it is working for you now.