sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

The windows won't go down, the overhead display will not

Customer Question

The windows won't go down, the overhead display will not show the temperature, how many miles till empty and a few other things missing from the read out. The interior lights stay on unless I have the dial switch on the turn signal shaft turned all the way down and then half the dash board lights go dim. My mechanic is a bit befuddled but thinks it may be the body control module. Me? I just don't know.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The body controller wouldn't be a concern.

The windows and interior lights are related, one of the door modules isn't awake. This could be due to a door module or wiring issue, wiring being most common.

Is it the driver's door that the windows don't work from?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Windows don't work from any door. For a while now also, you had to have the door closed to work the windows.

That indicates without a doubt that you had a broken wire in the boot between the door and body on the door that you noted that on.

If the windows don't work from either the left or right master switch then there is likely a problem on each side. You very likely still have one or more broken wires on each side but there may be door module issues also. This is a very simple system and easy to diagnose for anyone experienced, if it's not something you're going to repair yourself I would recommend a dealer or another shop if whoever is working on it is confused.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He did repair some wires between the doors, but to no avail. One other thing to note is that sometimes when you start the car, it runs real rough and if you turn it off and restart it after about 15 seconds, it runs fine. He is also not able to get my cars computer to talk to his diagnostic computer (if that's what it's called)

If the door modules are not working then they have either failed or have lost a power or ground feed. The powers and grounds need to be tested if they believe the wiring is intact. This is a very basic and intuitive diagnostic step.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you very much for your diagnosis. I appreciate your professional help. I will converse with my mechanic on your info. He's a good guy and friend that I have known for years, so I know he isn't trying to sell me something. Thanks Again. ����

You're welcome and good luck with it!