Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Highway it started slipping out of gear instead of

Customer Question

highway it started slipping out of gear instead of downshifting wheI bought my 2002 JGC L yesterday. It had been sitting for a while. When I test drove it for the first time I noticed it wasn't shifting smoothly. It seemed to be stuck in first gear but then finally shifted at about 45mph. After it warmed up a little the problem seemed to resolve itself so I took a gamble and bought it. On the way home the issues returned and when i got it out on the highway it started slipping out of gear instead of downshifting when i would slow down. Then when I got close to home it started shifting smoothly again. I drove it to work (1mi) this morning in 1st gear. It wouldn't shift but would slip sometimes. Before I drove it home midday I let it warm up good and it drove, no problem.
Does it sound to you like the tranny is on its last leg or is this something that could be less expensive to fix?
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 28 days ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
HOWS THE TRANNY FLUID.. IS THE ENGINE LIGHT ON?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The Tranny fluid is high and the check engine light is on.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
John- You got any answers for me? I need to get this fixed ASAP so I need to know what it could be besides a new tranny.