Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Recently swapped dead battery with

Customer Question

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Recently swapped dead battery with fully charged battery. Double-checked all connections but no power to vehicle.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent. It's as if the fresh battery is dead
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2015 jeep grand Cherokee 3.4l
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried jumping the dead battery. There was fluctuating power, wipers came on uncommanded, dash light came on. When I pushed the start button there was a click but no start. Removed dead battery, charged it overnight, replaced it, now there's no power at all.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. What is the battery voltage when checked right at the battery terminals?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am unable to check the battery voltage at the terminals. The charger indicated full charge after charging overnight.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to talk on the phone
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Ok, can you get a voltmeter and check the voltage at the jump post under the hood right side near the right fender?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a voltmeter, but I have to drive back out to the Jeep to connect it. Probably 20 min enroute. Then I have to figure out how to reconnect with you. What's the easiest way to reconnect?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Ok, sounds good. Just reconnect with me the way you are doing now. I will leave this thread open.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Voltmeter fluctuates between 3.5-5.0v. Tried to jump again, but no dice. Before I buy a new battery, I want to know if it could be a fuse/relay problem?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Voltage should be 12.6 volts and steady. If you are getting that 3.5 to 5 volts at the jump post, then the battery is no good. There is no fuse or relay between the battery and Jump post. Go and buy a new battery. I am 99,9% sure this is the problem.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and if so would you kindly take a moment to rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Voltage should be 12.6 volts and steady. If you are getting that 3.5 to 5 volts at the jump post, then the battery is no good. There is no fuse or relay between the battery and Jump post. Go and buy a new battery. I am 99,9% sure this is the problem. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

How's it going with the Jeep?

Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Any luck?

Chris