Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

1994 Jeep Wrangler I can turn normally One Direction in the

1994 Jeep Wrangler
I can turn normally One Direction in the other direction I can only go about 75% of the way so I won't turn the same mount in each direction

Hello and welcome to just answer

Has the Jeep ever been in an accident?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not to my knowledge or carfax

Ok, tat is good

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Then the problem is with the steering gear box, or the pitman arm is not indexed properly to the shaft on the steering gear box.

Do you have a shop or dealer in your area you trust?

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am asking you because I dont want to take it to a shop

Ok, then do this: remove the pitman arm from the shaft of the steering gear box. Center the steering wheel, and make sure that the front tires are straight ahead. Then reattach the pitman arm to the gear box. If the problem persists after that, then the steering gear box will need to be replaced.

Chris

I can send you the procedure for replacing the gearbox if you wish. Let me know,

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just send the procedure for setting the relief stops and what not
Ok, let me see what I can find when I get to work tody I will then send it to youChris

Ok, here is a link for adjusting the steering stops.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this is not helpful. That is if you want to inhibit your steering for incorrectly sized tires and rims. I need the procedure for adjusting the steering box. I thought you had access to that info.

Gotcha. Well there is no written procedure that I have found in any service manual, but what I would do is to first center the steering wheel (count the number of turns from lock to lock), then loosen up the drag link adjustable sleeve and turn it until the wheels are straight forward. Use an alignment machine if needed to center the steering wheel. If this does not fix it, then there is a problem with the steering gear box and it will need to be replaced.

Chris