Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Fails to start if restarting soon after being run, did not

Customer Question

fails to start if restarting soon after being run
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: did not try
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced starter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that if its allowed to cool it will start
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine/ gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the startermotor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feedcomes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and needreplacing

Check the resistanceof the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery ispoor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventingthe starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are onthen this usually means that its off

Expert:  Matt replied 30 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you