Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland - its just started

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland - its just started making this loud clicking/clunking noise
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: its somewhere in the front and has only just started
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've only just bought it second hand so only had it since August and its been regularly maintained and not due for a service yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to determine if the noise is from the front or the rear of your Jeep?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it sounds like it is coming from the front - you can only hear it when driving and seems louder at slow speed but when driving at a constant speed on motorway not so much
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no cause I'm in New Zealand
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if you were to jack up your car with a winding rod imagine as it turns over it clicks / clunks
- the sound is similar
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

There is one known issue that may be what your hearing on the 2013 but its not coming from the front but instead its coming from the rear and Jeep has released a service bulletin dealing with this noise which calls for replacing the rear shock as they are the source of the noise. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below . I would start with having this checked as it is a common cause. Have a look at the bulletin and see if this could be it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Jeep%20Suspension%20Noise%20Nov%202.pdf

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but how come the noise sounds like it comes from the front?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

It may be in the front or the sound is traveling and appears to be coming from the front. Because this is a known and common issue I would at least have this checked first to be sure its not the cause.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.