Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2006 WK grand cherokee (65th Anniversary) with 3.0L

Customer Question

I have a 2006 WK grand cherokee (65th Anniversary) with 3.0L CRD. When idling in drive and moving the steering wheel, it stalls. It will start again immediately in neutral
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: Engine check light is not on - only on idle.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its been into the workshop many times with no fix - I ahave only just determines it relates to the steerin.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Angel Martinez replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is Angel,

can you idle in drive and turn the A/C on so the compressor kicks in?

does it die or not?

if it does die then your idle controller is not doing its job.

can you press the gas pedal to raise the engine RPM's up and turn the steering wheel. does the engine die?

if it does not die, then your problem is most likely the Idle Control valve(Idle controller).

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Revs do not vary from 600rpm when turning on A/C. Engine does not die with increased revs. Problem is most prevalent when cold.

when you push the brake pedal to the floor does it stall the engine?

the brake booster is also tied into the power steering system, because diesels don't have vacuum to use a vacuum booster for the brakes. they use a system called Hydroboost.

so when you turn or apply the brakes, pressure is added to the power steering pump and the engine has to raise the RPMS to keep the idle. but when driving with the gas pedal pressed the engine is not at idle and has enough power to not stall.

what you need to do is have a pressure test done on the power steering system, to see if there is too much pressure for the system. if not too much pressure when turning or pressing the brake pedal, then you have to check the sensor that tells the computer that the pressure has gone up and needs to compensate by adjusting the idle.

Hope that helps in your diagnosis. let me know if that helps, Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Using the brake does not stall the engine or vary the engine speed. I'll check further, Thanks