Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

The engine turns off everything else is on just the engine

Customer Question

the engine turns off everything else is on just the engine turns off.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: I think 77,000 miles automatic
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2012 jeep wrangler unlimited sahara
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet. it just started happening
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. just want to figure out why it keeps shutting off on me.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.

There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Jeep to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 6 months ago.
There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get your Jeep to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this. Chris