Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Steering on my 2004 jeep grand cherokee makes noise when

Customer Question

Steering on my 2004 jeep grand cherokee makes noise when turning left
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

How would you best describe this noise?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sort of a grinding . Can feel it in the steering colum
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Dose it appear to be coming from the steering system or under the Jeep?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
from the steering system.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
or steering shaft
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Dose the steering seam to turn easy either way?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Steering turns ok either way
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

There is one there issue that can cause this type of noise on rolling left turn and that can be cause by the transfer case. Is it possible the noise is coming from it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The steering makes the noise when steering to the left even when the wheels are not rolling.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay I am suspecting you may have either a gear box concern and or even a bad ball joint but with out being able to hear it I can not be sure. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps another expert may have something new to add.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Do you have a video recording of the noise so I can help you determine what the issue is?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a video recording. My mechanic determined the noise wasn't coming from the gear box or ball joint. We both feel its coming from the steering shaft. It can be felt just by moving the steering wheel left with the vehicle standing still. It dose not make the noise when turning the wheel to the right. There is no play in the steering.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Ok at this point you will need to disconnect the steering column from the rack and pinion, and then turn the steering wheel and see if you hear the noise, if yes then you will need a new steering column as it's serviced as a unit.. And if you don't hear the noise then it's likely a bad rack and pinion..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is no rack and pinion
Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

You are correct on a 2004 there is no rack and pinion but rather a gearbox.. Same situation, disconnect the gearbox from the intermediate shaft and turn the steering wheel and see if you hear the noise.. If yes then replace the steering column..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 2 months ago.

I see you haven't left me a rating. Do you need more help?