Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Stalls randomly while driving,may be fine for a week or

Customer Question

Stalls randomly while driving,may be fine for a week or so.Sometimes restarts quick,sometimes has to crank for a bit,sometimes won't start until the next day.Have changed pcm,fuel filter fuel pump,fuel pump relay.Ready to trade!
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: External
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1995 wrangler YJ 4.0 liter auto
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Some my self,but one shop fixed some vacuum leaks,another installed fuel pump and pressure regulator.I installed fuel filter and pcm.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have cleaned bat cables and ground and put gas treatment through about 3 tanks of gas.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.

There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Since you have already replace the PCM, your problem is most likely the carank or cam sensor. Most common is the crank sensor, so replace that one next and PLEASE use a Mopar OEM sensor. Some of the aftermarket ones are junk. If it still acts up, go with the cam sensor in the distributor. I am 99% sure that this is the problem.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer today. Please let me know.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer from yeterday. Please let me know if you did or did not. I can resend it again if necessary. Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 8 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer. Please let me know if you did. And if my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 7 months ago.

Hello?? Where did you go?

Chris