Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a charging problem..

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a charging problem.. I have the wiring system re-worked due to a rat getting in and chewing up all the wiring under the hood and dash. all appeared to be working once he was done. then the interior lights stopped working, the rear window wiper stopped and the drivers side rear window will not work. also the battery keeps getting drained due to an open curcit somewhere. the electric fan that is suppose to work when using the AC -- he wired hot because it kept blowing the fuse on the circut it was on. the rear window -- changed the window motor it was going out before all this started. NOW-- the problems are all back.. dead battery; internal lights; rear window wiper; i have checked all the fuses several times. found one blowed and it blew again as soon as I changed it out. I went to a Jeep dealer and he gave me a discription of fuses but it did not help. I need to Know. this>
what fuse amp and what curcit is it supposed to cover. exp. fuse # 10 what amp and what does it cover. also one other item.. after I had charged the battery I diconnected the charger and when I opened the car door the check engine light was glowing the key was not turned on. can you figure out wy I just pain $900.00 to get this fixed and the problem is back again?? cannot keep affording these guys
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. It sounds like we have a major wiring problem on your vehicle and it may be hard to diagnose but I am up to the challenge. Can I start by getting your VIN and any stored codes in the computer? Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
VIN # 1J4GW58N3XC620094
I do not have a way to access the codes. the last time the mechanic looked at it he said he had all codes but one cleared and the one that was left had something to be with the computer itself but that that code would not interfere with the operations of the vehicle. he stated that the car would be ok to drive with it. he did not tell me what the code was actually for. i will have to take it into town to have metered if I can even get it started.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for that information.

Here is a test you can use to help pinpoint the battery draw (provided the battery is good and fully charged).

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw! Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on! Let me know which fuse the draw is on and I can pull a wiring diagram for you to help pinpoint the root cause.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks but when I took I t to get the codes t h ey put it in there shop and we are still waiting for answers. I do not think I can use your help at this time.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sounds good! I am glad I can help and I am glad I can answer your questions up to this point. It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.