Jeep Service
Jeep Service, Jeep Owner
Experience:  14 years with AMC/Jeep Specializing with pre-1994 Jeep products.
14892859

The little light on dashboard that looks like an alternator

Customer Question

Hi Pearl the little light on dashboard that looks like an alternator won't turn off, manuel said it can be something serious but I checked just oil, and bands and I don't see anything wrong can I do some sort of check to see if its alternator
JA: Have you checked the switch?
Customer: The starter switch
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2005 Grand Cherokee I have a low tire but I don't think that would bring on that light do you
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying I am in a battle with cancer and can't afford a mechanic at this time
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No and thanks Pearl
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jeep Service replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Anytime the alternator warning light comes on, this is a visual indication that there is something wrong with the charging system. This could be a loose or otherwise damaged drive belt, or something inside the alternator is malfunctioning. Normally, when the light comes on, the output voltage may not be enough to power the electrical drain to keep everything running AND charge the battery. The recommendation I have for you would be to take the vehicle to a shop (any shop that can do alternator testing is OK, it does not have to be an expensive Jeep service dept). Get the alternator tested. The test is reasonably inexpensive and should not take more than 15-20 minutes. The alternator output voltage (at idle) should be 13.8 to 14.4 volts. The amperage output should be above 50 amps at 2000 rpm with a full electrical load. If either of these specs are not met, a replacement alternator would be the cure to your issue.

Please confirm you have received my input on your request. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. Thanks