Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder.
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm not sure yet. It depends on how bad the repair is. Anyways, what has happened is recently i have been getting a lot of excessive engine noise. I know it has an exhaust leak somewhere, but that isn't the noise i'm referring to. Every morning when i first start it up, it sounds fine (other than the exhaust leak). But then about 2 minutes later, I get this ticking/tapping sound coming from the engine bay. I haven't been able to pin-point where the sound is originating from yet. So my question is, what would be causing a noise like that?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: somewhere towards the front of the engine i think. It's louder towards the front. And its only been doing this for a week.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The jeep has 124,000 miles. I know it use to have a valve cover oil leak, but I replaced the gasket. And now no more leak. The engine always starts up every time, and idles perfectly. No lack in power. Honestly just trying to figure out what that tapping sound is. I've heard it could be anything from pistons to just regular normal engine noise since it's a 4 cylinder.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

when it does start ticking/tapping, does it increase when you rev the engine?