Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

DRB3 scan tool won`t program my keys to the SKIM

Customer Question

DRB3 scan tool won`t program my keys to the SKIM immobiliser..
Should`n it be possible to program the old org. car keys to a new(blank) SKIM immobiliser module on my 2000 mod Jeep Grand cherokee? I also bought a new blank key to try, but got the same message as the org car keys.
Message is:
"Programming Key Failed"
(Possible used Key from Wrong Vehicle)
there is no keys programmed in the SKIM immobiliser..
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Before programming the keys, did you perform the "SKIM Replaced" routine? This must be done to marry the skim module to the PCM BEFORE programming keys..

Try this first and post back the results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Robert!
Thnx for replying!
Well, yes.. I did both "pcm replaced" first, and then I did the "SKIM replaced" routine..
I also did the "erase all keys" option.. the only thing I didn't do, is the "erase SKIM module" option..
I didn't think this was necessary since I did the "replace SKIM" and also the SKIM module is new ( org. mopar part)
SKIM and PCM are married together and seems ok..
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I think that is where you made the mistake. If you did "PCM Replaced" first, you likely LOST the SECRET KEY information that was stored in the PCM that was tied to your original keys. You didn't need to run the PCM Replaced routine at all. All that needed to be done was to do the "SKIM Replaced" routine. This would have kept the ORIGINAL secret key info and you would have been able to use the original keys. When this happens you have no choice but to get FRESH New Keys and start over. You might also need to get another SKIM module and start over with new keys and a new SKIM Module. This time ONLY run the SKIM replaced and program your keys.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

When you replace the SKIM Module again, you FIRST need to run the SKIM Replaced routine, then because secret key info is lost in the PCM you will need to run the "PCM Replaced" routine AFTER running the SKIM replaced routine. After that you can program the new keys...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system. Once you are satisfied with my service please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service only with a "Positive" Rating. Thanks in advance for a "Positive" Rating..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks again Robert..
well, that sucks..
But I replaced the PCM also, so my org keys was never stored in from the start..
so, the "erase SKIM" won't do me any good?
I'll go back on Monday and see what I can find out, I might have a question for you then..My other option is to give the PCM to a Lithuanian, and he'll remove the anti theft from PCM, disconnect the SKIM and run it on any Key..
but I'll try to do it the correct way first ��
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Oh ok, either way, if you replace the PCM and the SKIM at the same time, you still have to perform the "Skim replaced" routine first, then the "PCM replaced" then program the keys. Normally under these instances, the keys MUST be replaced also. The reason being is that once the keys have been programmed the keys ALSO store the "Secret key information". The fact that you replaced the PCM AND the SKIM means that you WILL lose the original secret key info and because of this you MUST replace keys. This is why you get the "Wrong Key" message.

Correct, at this time, erasing the SKIM will do no good. You may be forced to replace both modules and start over again.. This time be sure to do the SKIM first, then the PCM then program the NEW keys... Toss the old keys.

After all is said and done, it may be the cheapest option to remove anti theft from the PCM and remove the SKIM module. You might need to replace the BCM also. If the vehicle is equipped with a Theft Alarm, you will need to replace the BCM also with one that is not configured for Theft Alarm...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

There is one part of the answer I forgot to mention. When you program keys, it also transfers this "Secret Key Information" to the Chip in the key. This information "MARRIES" this key to the vehicle. When you replace the PCM and the SKIM at the same time, you lose this original secret key information. The key "PERMANENTLY" stores this info and it cannot be changed in the key. This is why you keep getting the message about using wrong key.

The way to avoid this from happening when both modules must be replaced at the same time is to replace the SKIM module first while using the original PCM, you run the "SKIM Replaced" first. This transfers the "Original" secret key info to the NEW SKIM module. After this operation is complete, you can at that time replace the PCM then run the "PCM Replaced" routine. This will transfer the "Original" secret key info over to the NEW PCM. If you would have been able to perform the procedures in these steps, you would have been able to use the "Original" keys and they would have successfully programmed to the SKIM. I'm not certain what may have happened to that "New" key that is not allowing it to be programmed....

Let me know if you have any other questions with this and I'll help the best that I can..

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Thank you,

Robert